The Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children
Resources for Teachers
TOPICS FOR DEBATE
1. Although child prostitution is a global problem that has existed for thousands of years despite attempts to eliminate the practice, fighting it is neither a waste of time nor a waste of resources.
2. Campaigns to eliminate child prostitution should not get sidetracked by fighting child pornography as well.
3. Decriminalization of prostitution would result in a decrease in the trafficking of children for purposes of sexual exploitation.
4. Children who work as prostitutes have not voluntarily chosen such a life for themselves. Prostitution and related activities fuel the growth of trafficking by providing a façade behind which criminals can exploit the vulnerable.
5. Rounding up child prostitutes and detaining them in work-training camps until adulthood would result in their eventual rehabilitation and reintegration within society.